The engines racing roots are also evident in the cylinder block and reciprocating assembly, where an extremely rigid aluminium block casting accommodates large, 104.8-mm-diameter (4.125-inch) cylinder bores, fitted with Hyper-eutectic alloy flat-top pistons. Lightweight titanium connecting rods link the pistons to a precision-balanced forged steel crankshaft with a 101.6-mm (4-inch) stroke. The Titanium con-rods weigh just 480 grams apiece - some 30 percent less than comparable steel rods. The wet liner, high nickel content cast iron cylinder liners, are torque plate-honed to exacting standard's to ensure optimum piston ring seal.
The engine also features 5 axis CNC-ported cylinder heads to ensure both parity and optimum airflow. The cylinder head's also feature Sodium filled exhaust valves and lightweight Titanium inlet valves fed by tunnel-like straight intake runners, although large by production-vehicle standards, the inlet ports are designed to maintain high airflow velocity, providing excellent torque,507 ftlbs at a comparatively low 4,800 rpm and some 575 horsepower at 6,200 rpm.
The 7-liter V8ST engine is complete with an inbuilt dry-sump lubrication systems that recycles the engine oil through an exterior oil cooler into a remote 12 litre oil reservoir and from there back into the engines oil galleries.
The V8ST engine features its own unique accessories drive system, utilising a custom manufactured ATL front damper, and a single high performance serpentine drive belt. The heavy duty 100 amp alternator is mounted as low as possible to further assist the engine's very favourable low Centre of Gravity.
The exhaust system is also unique to V8ST and adds significantly to the engine prestigious power output, whist still complying with New Zealand's maximum of 95DBA noise mandatory requirement.
- Rocker-ratio intake: 1.80:1
- Rocker-ratio exhaust: 1.80:1
- At camshaft: Intake: 0.331 in. Exhaust: 0.328 in.
- At valve: Intake: 0.593 in. Exhaust: 0.588 in.
Engine type: Cam-in-block 90-degree V8 Block configuration: Cast-aluminum with pressed-in cylinder sleeves and 6-bolt, forged-steel main bearing caps
- Bore x Stroke (mm/in): 104.8x01.6/4.125x4.00
- Displacement: 7.0L/427ci
- Crankshaft: Forged steel
- Connecting Rods: Forged Titanium
- Pistons: Hyper-eutectic alloy
- Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
- Cylinder Heads: 5 axis CNC-ported aluminum; 70-cc chamber volume
- Valve size, intake (mm/in): 56/2.20 (Titanium)
- Valve size, exhaust (mm/in): 41/1.61 (Sodium-filled)
- Camshaft: Hydraulic roller; 15 mm (.591 in) lift (intake and exhaust)
- Rocker arms: 1.8:1; offset (intake only)
- Air intake: Composite manifold with 90-mm single-bore throttle body
- Fuel: Premium required; 98-octane minimum
- Horsepower: 575 @ 6,200 rpm
- Torque (lb-ft): 507 @ 4,800 rpm
- Engine redline (rpm): 7,000