Show image only »

UDC V8 Utes Media Release- Nov 6th 2011

It was a typically exciting weekend of UDC V8 Ute action. The first two races producedtheir own share of excitement before a huge accident in diabolical conditions curtailedthe final race.

Waite, 'DJ48', won the round by virtue of setting the fastest time in qualifying, winningthe opening race on Saturday followed by a fourth from the back of the grid in thesecond race on Sunday morning. He was classified second in the shortened final raceto seal the round. Another Aucklander, Chris 'Hammer Time' Hanley, was secondoverall in his PB Technologies Holden. He could only qualify fifth after changing anengine after Friday testing and then drew marble number thirteen in the draw for theopening race. Despite having his race compromised after being hit by another Ute heclimbed to sixth place. He then collected two wins from the front row of the grid in both
of Sundays races to complete a great comeback from several months of adversity.
Third overall was Palmerston North driver Geoff 'SOS' Spencer in the TWL/The BarnCompany Holden. Spencer crafted an excellent weekend culminating in a second andthird place on Sunday.

Waite, in his first weekend in the Hydraulink/Valvoline Falcon said, it was a good startto the series and we now know what to expect moving forward."

Waite drew pole position in the marble draw for the opening race grid on Saturday andled all the way to win. Peter 'Kaos' Ward of Auckland in his Ward Demolition Holdenalso drew well and finished second while series rookie Steve 'Stig' Taylor of Hamiltonin the Protecta Insurance Falcon took advantage of an incident filled final lap to grabthird on the line after Dave 'The Boss' Stewart of Wellington and Scott 'Precious'McKelvie tangled. McKelvie and the ICOM Holden were out on the spot while Stewart
in the Metro Brick Holden lost momentum allowing Taylor through on the line. Stewartwas eventually disqualified for the incident. That promoted James 'Huggi' Urquhart ofKaraka in the Mitre 10 Trade Holden to fourth ahead of Spencer and Hanley.

Sunday mornings race was a reverse marble grid start with Hanley on pole and McKelvie alongside.McKelvie got a good start but Hanley fought back, the pair going through turn one side by side.Hanley held firm and took the lead under brakes for the esses and was untroubled from thenon. Spencer settled into second ahead of McKelvie with Jeff and Dave Kernohan next. Waite wasmoving through from the back of the grid but experienced an exciting moment at the start of lap twowhen Peter 'Kaos' Ward spun at the high speed turn one. Waite was forced to lock up, flat spotting atyre, but managing to avoid Ward in a moment he described as "scary". Ward glanced the barrier ashe spun off causing damage to the left front wheel which was to end his race. Meanwhile 'Dirty Dave'
Kernohan of Turangi was in trouble after a great start. The KCL Contracting Falcon died and it tookseveral attempts to get it going again. He lost a lot of time but eventually continued, albeit well inarrears.

Hanley in his own words "cruised' to victory at the front while Spencer maintained second in what hecalled a "tidy run" with McKelvie third. Waite relieved Jeff 'Ripples' Kernohan of fourth a couple oflaps from the finish while James 'Huggi' Urquhart was sixth. McKelvie was pleased with third afterovernight repairs from the extensive damage suffered on Saturday. "It is not handling all that well,"
he confessed. Meanwhile Ward admitted his spin was entirely his fault. "I locked it up and came faceto face with Andrew (Waite)," he said.

As the field lined up for the final race it was raining and the track was very wet. Waite had polewith Hanley alongside with Spencer and Urquhart behind. Hanley made the best start and led intothe first corner only to have a massive moment. That allowed Urquhart into the lead but Hanley wasback in front by the hairpin. Hanley had another 'moment' over the Mountain but the Safety Car wasout soon after when Jeff Kernohan slid off the track and hit the barriers in the Lonking Falcon. Thedamage to the barriers was extensive and the Event Director and the Steward made the decision tocall the race off as repairs could not be effected before the race ran its course. Waite was classifiedsecond, Spencer third with Ward, Mike 'Buzz' Lightfoot and Taylor next. After his impressive startUrquhart had pitted to clear a foggy windscreen, dropping him to the tail of the field.

Waite also claimed the Nulon Award for his performance in the opening race of the weekend.

The next round of the UDC V8 Ute Championship takes place at Powerbuilt Tools Raceway atRuapuna in Christchurch over the weekend of 9-11 December.

Support for the category comes from UDC Finance, Armorall, Xtreme Race Clutch, Nulon, RadioHauraki, Yokohama, Woodstock, BMC Air Filter, SCT and EFILive.

1st: Chris Hanley
2nd: Andrew Waite
3rd: Geoff Spencer
4th: Peter Ward
5th: Mike Lightfoot
6th: Steve Taylor
7th: Dave Stewart
8th: Peter Robb
9th: Scott McKelvie
10th: David Kernohan
11th: Brett Rudd
12th: James Urquhart
DNF: Jeff Kernohan

Waite - 271; Hanley - 244; Spencer - 209; Ward - 188; Taylor - 180; Lightfoot - 175; Urquhart - 166;
Robb - 149; McKelvie - 141; Stewart - 141; Rudd - 135; D Kernohan - 122; J Kernohan - 109;